A blog devoted to my reads, scrapbook pages, and other areas of interest.

Name: Alyssa
Location: Utah, United States

Sign Up for My Author Newsletter E-mail:  

I'm a reader, reviewer, and published author at Cobblestone Press. In this blog, I focus mainly on the books I read: primarily romance in almost every subgenre, with the occasional true-crime book thrown in for a little variety.

When I'm not writing, I enjoy preserving my photos through the art of scrapbooking. I also love scented candles, though of course I don't burn them too close to my books or scrapbooking supplies. :) I also enjoy watching A&E programs such as Cold Case Files and American Justice.

View my complete profile



Cobblestone Authors Blog
My Blog Entries at Romancing the Blog
My Book Reviews at The Romance Reader
My Favorite Blogs
My Writer Blog










Design By
Ciao My Bella

Platform By:
Blogger

Powered By:
By The Book

Image By:
Getty Images

eXTReMe Tracker

Free Site Counter
Site Counter

Thursday, February 24, 2005

"Wicked" Women Whodunit

Brava anthology "Wicked" Women Whodunit is a bit of a mixed bag. One story is excellent, one is very good, one is good, and one is not as good. However, I won't complain; I've added two people to my authors-to-watch list.

MaryJanice Davidson's "Ten Little Idiots" is the good story. It's fast-paced and humorous, but there isn't a whole lot of room for character development. With apologies to Wendy (who likes the shorter contemporary story), I have to say that I prefer Davidson's paranormal books.

"Single White Dead Guy," by Amy Garvey, is the excellent story. I think it's difficult to create a credible scenario in which the hero and heroine meet and head for the bedroom shortly thereafter. I'm always impressed when a writer uses this plot and makes me believe that the relationship is about more than just hormones. That was the case for this book. The mystery was interesting, the characters multidimensional, and the sex spicy. I will make it a point to pick up Murder in the Hamptons, a full-length book from Garvey coming out in May.

Jennifer Apodaca's "Fast Boys" is the very good story. I was initially put off by the e-mail-ends-up-in-wrong-hands plot, but the main characters quickly came to life, which helped immensely. I will look for Apodaca's future stories, too.

"Three Men and a Body," by Nancy J. Cohen, is my least favorite story in the anthology. I'm having a difficult time getting into the reality-show plots that seem so popular right now. On another note, I wasn't convinced that the hero and heroine really connected. Their relationship seemed only physical to me.

So, the results:

"Ten Little Idiots": 3.5
"Single White Dead Guy": 4.5
"Fast Boys": 4
"Three Men and a Body": 3

That puts this anthology at 3.5 out of 5.

Spring is coming. I say this not because I want to comment on the weather, but because I want to warn you that this is my busiest time of year at work. Last year, there were times I would work, then come home and collapse. I'm hoping that won't be the case this year. The good news is that two new people joined the publications department last week, so I won't be the only one working on the annual website updates. But I do want to give you a heads up. I'm not expecting to drop off the face of the earth, but if it happens, I'll be back eventually. I promise. :)

Alyssa

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

At February 25, 2005 12:29 PM, Blogger Wendy said...

I had pretty much the same reaction actually. I happened to like Davidson's entry more because I find her "voice" a little grating when it's sustained for 300 pages. But it's just right for me in a short format. I still have UNDEAD AND UNWED in my TBR - so I'm not counting her full-length novels out yet!

And I agree that Amy Garvey's entry was the highlight! Very enjoyable.

You may want to look up Jennifer Apodaca's Samantha Shaw series. She's a personal favorite, and the first book in that series (DATING CAN BE MURDER) in particular is very, very good.

And as for the Cohen story - I agree, that it was the weakest of the bunch - but I still enjoyed it. Maybe because I find the reality TV setting "novel?" Then again, I steer clear of these programs on TV, so maybe I haven't reached the overdosing point yet?

 
At February 25, 2005 2:42 PM, Blogger Nicole said...

*note to self: Finish reading Wicked Women Whodunit* I only got a little into 10 Little Idiots before I had to put it down, so I'm looking forward to seeing if I agree with you on things. :-)

I'm not a reality show fan, but I did like the Getting Real anthology with Vicki Lewis Thompson, Jennifer LaBrecque, and Julie Elizabeth Leto.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home