His Every Kiss
Laura Lee Guhrke has become one of my auto-buy authors. Guilty Pleasures is one of my favorite 2004 reads. Her latest book, His Every Kiss, is a wonderful story with strong, compelling characters: 4 out of 5.
Dylan Moore is a prolific and renowned composer when tragedy strikes. A head injury results in nonstop buzzing in his ear. He can no longer hear the music that has always run through his head and led to his compositions. In despair, Dylan decides to kill himself in a music hall. Once there, he hears a violinist playing a piece of his music. The mystery woman tells him he cannot kill himself, and for just a moment, Dylan hears music again. But the woman leaves before he learns her name.
Years later, Dylan still cannot compose music. Every so often, he releases a new piece of music from his early unpublished work so that no one will know the truth. Dylan now lives a life of pleasure found in alcohol, gambling, and women. One day, he sees the mysterious woman who saved his life. He decides to find this woman who makes him hear music again, and he learns that her name is Grace Cheval.
Dylan and Grace are fascinating characters. Dylan is no pseudo-rake, even though his bad behavior is about numbing emotional pain. Grace is a widow whose husband was an artist, so she is reluctant to put herself in a position where she will act as Dylan's muse. There's more, of course, because Guhrke is skilled with characterization.
I enjoyed several moments in His Every Kiss:
- The exchange of notes where Dylan asks her to meet with him and Grace makes excuses to avoid it.
- Dylan and Grace's chemistry.
- The end of the book, where Dylan must win Grace back.
Alyssa
Labels: 4.0 reviews, f-h reviews, historical reviews

3 Comments:
I've had Guilty Pleasures and His Every Kiss in my immediate TBR pile for a while now - I just keep putting them off for some reason. Maybe because I'm just plain tired of English settings (this coming from a British History degree holder - how sad is that?). But I do love Guhrke's work, so I really need to get over myself already.
Have you read Breathless yet? Totally, wonderfully fabulous. Probably my favorite romance of all time. I keep hoping Gurhke will return to this side of the pond - but alas I think she's stuck in England for a while.
I have read Breathless and enjoyed it very much. I remember staying up to the wee hours reading it. :)
I know what you mean about being in the mood for certain books. I've been reading many historicals lately, but there are some times when the thought of reading one is simply too much for me. That's when I pick up a contemporary or series romance.
When you're ready to read Guhrke's English stories, you'll definitely enjoy these.
:)
Alyssa
I forgot to add the one thing I am sick of reading: historical romances with someone's-out-to-kill-me subplots. Just give me a story focused on the characters without having an investigation.
There are several good books with this subplot; the problem is that the good ones usually lead to a bunch of mediocre and poor ones too.
Alyssa
Post a Comment
<< Home