A blog devoted to my reads, scrapbook pages, and other areas of interest.

Name: Alyssa
Location: Utah, United States

Sign Up for My Author Newsletter E-mail:  

I'm a reader, reviewer, and published author at Cobblestone Press. In this blog, I focus mainly on the books I read: primarily romance in almost every subgenre, with the occasional true-crime book thrown in for a little variety.

When I'm not writing, I enjoy preserving my photos through the art of scrapbooking. I also love scented candles, though of course I don't burn them too close to my books or scrapbooking supplies. :) I also enjoy watching A&E programs such as Cold Case Files and American Justice.

View my complete profile



Cobblestone Authors Blog
My Blog Entries at Romancing the Blog
My Book Reviews at The Romance Reader
My Favorite Blogs
My Writer Blog










Design By
Ciao My Bella

Platform By:
Blogger

Powered By:
By The Book

Image By:
Getty Images

eXTReMe Tracker

Free Site Counter
Site Counter

Tuesday, November 23, 2004

The Shaughnessey Accord

The Shaughnessey Accord is the second story in Alison Kent's Smithson Group series, and it packs a lot of action and romance into only 117 pages. If the first two books of the series are any indication (The Bane Affair is the first), I'm going to love the rest of them.

Tripp Shaughnessey makes regular stops at Glory Brighton's deli--not only for the food. After weeks of exchanging admiring looks and flirty banter, Tripp makes his move and kisses Glory in her storeroom. One kiss leads to more, but when the deli is taken over by terrorists, Glory and Tripp have something else to worry about besides their intense attraction.

What neither Glory nor the terrorists knows is that Tripp is an operative in Hank Smithson's specialized group, which makes him the perfect man to be trapped with in a storeroom. He's got a few ideas about how they'll get out.

If this sounds like an unlikely setting for romance, you're right. But Kent makes it work through the couple's initial chemistry and the way they work together to get out of the situation.

I liked the heroine in The Bane Affair, and I liked Glory, too. She's spunky but doesn't put herself in stupid situations that often occur in romantic suspense. Other writers would do well to follow Kent's example: you can create a heroic hero without making him have to rescue the heroine from her own stupidity. There's no stupidity here.

I also enjoyed the nice little touches in the story. In some short books, the romance suffers because there is not enough room to add interesting, compelling moments. The Shaughnessey Accord isn't lacking in those moments; we see several ways Tripp and Glory interact: at times she is annoyed with him, at times they are passionate. One of my favorite moments is a tender spooning one. It's just lovely.

Its only shortcoming (if you can call it that) is that it's too short--I wanted more. Luckily another book in the series is coming in December: The Samms Agenda. I can't wait! The Shaughnessey Accord: 4 out of 5.

Alyssa

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home