The Boy Next Door
After reading Meg Cabot's Boy Meets Girl, I had high hopes for The Boy Next Door. As I mention here, the format of the book is similar, though in this case, the story is told only through e-mail. As with the first book, I liked the hero and heroine. But one particular part of the story disappointed me. As a result, The Boy Next Door receives 4 out of 5--make that a low 4.
Melissa (Mel) Fuller writes entertainment news at the New York Journal. John Trent covers the crime beat for a competing publication, the New York Chronicle. Through a rather complicated series of events, John ends up representing himself to Mel as photographer Max Friedlander. When he falls for Mel, he worries about the fact that she doesn't know who he really is.
I loved John. Yes, he misrepresents himself, but he's funny, down to earth, and he writes about crime. What's not to like? Some of my favorite John moments:
- He has an affinity for redheads. Of course, Mel is a redhead. After he meets her, his e-mail to his brother reads simply: "She's a redhead. Help."
- After a date with Mel, he tells his sister-in-law: "She likes tornadoes and the blues, beer, and anything to do with serial killers."
I'm sure it will come as no surprise that Mel finds out about the deception and anger ensues. And here's where I start getting frustrated. I understand her anger, but she hangs onto it for much too long. And while I love how their reunion comes about, it's glossed over as a minor point. Definitely frustrating.
Still, I enjoyed much of the story and would love to revisit the New York Journal if Meg Cabot uses this setting in any other books.
Alyssa
Labels: 4.0 reviews, c-e reviews, contemporary reviews

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home