A blog devoted to my reads, scrapbook pages, and other areas of interest.

Name: Alyssa
Location: Utah, United States

Sign Up for My Author Newsletter E-mail:  

I'm a reader, reviewer, and published author at Cobblestone Press. In this blog, I focus mainly on the books I read: primarily romance in almost every subgenre, with the occasional true-crime book thrown in for a little variety.

When I'm not writing, I enjoy preserving my photos through the art of scrapbooking. I also love scented candles, though of course I don't burn them too close to my books or scrapbooking supplies. :) I also enjoy watching A&E programs such as Cold Case Files and American Justice.

View my complete profile



Cobblestone Authors Blog
My Blog Entries at Romancing the Blog
My Book Reviews at The Romance Reader
My Favorite Blogs
My Writer Blog










Design By
Ciao My Bella

Platform By:
Blogger

Powered By:
By The Book

Image By:
Getty Images

eXTReMe Tracker

Free Site Counter
Site Counter

Sunday, January 02, 2005

Top Five Sweetest Moments

Writing my reading year-in-review made me think about some of my favorite moments in romance novels. Here are my top five sweetest moments. They are not limited to books I read in 2004 nor are they in any particular order. Be warned that there are spoilers ahead.

Ceremony in Death by J.D. Robb
At first glance, Eve and Roarke are an odd couple--she's a cop while he's a former criminal; he's suave and sophisticated while she's moody and terse. In the end, though, it's hearts that matter, and Roarke and Eve's hearts are made for each other. This sweet moment comes after Roarke and Eve have argued about the fact that most people think she's not his type.

For once, he slept first. She lay in the dark, listening to him breathe, stealing a little of his warmth as her own body cooled. Since he was asleep, she stroked his hair.

"I love you," she murmured. "I love you so much, I'm stupid about it."

With a sigh, she settled down, closed her eyes, and willed her mind to empty.

Beside her, Roarke smiled into the dark.

He never slept first.


It Must Be Love by Rachel Gibson
Gabrielle and Joe are another apparent odd couple: she's a mystical new-ager while he's a pragmatic cop. When Gabrielle tells him that he is her "yang," her soulmate, he backs off in a big way. When Joe realizes that he loves her, he has some explaining to do first:

"I know that I really hurt you, but don't you think that maybe we can call a truce? Maybe we're even now?" He slid his palm down her arm and grasped her hand. "Don't you think it's time that you let me make it up to you?" He pulled something from his pocket and pressed a metal disk into her palm. "I am the other half of your soul," he said. "And you are the other half of my soul. Together we make each other whole."

Gabrielle opened her hand and looked down at the flat black-and-white pendant suspended from a silver chain. The yin and yang. He understood.


"The Nekkid Truth" by Nicole Camden
Debbie loves Marshall but she has a unique problem. A car accident resulted in a physical condition that makes her unable to recognize people's faces. She shares her doubts with him about whether the relationship can really work:

"I'm thinking about a question I asked my best friend, the morning after you told me you wanted to be with me."

"What was that?"

"I asked her how it could really be love, when I'll never recognize your face. I'll never be able to look at you across a crowded room and know your thoughts just by the look on your face. You'll never look in my eyes and see that recognition, that joyous connection that says I belong to you."

"You're wrong about that. You might not recognize it, but I want you to know that the look you see on my face right now--that's love." He gave me a squeeze. "And the look on your face, that's love, too. It's there, even if you can't ever see it."

Off Limits by Michele Albert
Bobby Halloran is used to women's attention, but they're often attracted to his looks, his skill in the bedroom, or the work he does. Emma Frey is different--she's attracted to Bobby, the man. One evening, they are together and Bobby tells her that tonight's lovemaking is lady's choice. Her reply:

"Once the newness of me and you wears off and I don't want to jump you right that very second every time I see you, I'll be happy to check out all the special features of the Bobby Halloran show."

He laughed, though a little embarrassed, as she added softly, "But right now, I want you to make love to me. I want you to hold me, and I want to kiss you and watch your face . . . I just want to be with you."

Gone Too Far by Suzanne Brockmann
Sam and Alyssa's relationship has been developing over five books when they finally take center stage in Gone Too Far. As they discuss some of the challenges they face, they talk about Sam's daughter, Haley.

"I'm going to love Haley," Alyssa said. "Because she's not responsible for Mary Lou's mistakes, or your mistakes, or my mistakes. And I'm going to love her twice as much because she's yours. But you need to know, Sam--I'm not going to take care of her for you. When she's with you, she's with you. I'll help, and I'll be her favorite aunt Alyssa. I'm good at that. But if you really want her in your life, you're going to have to be her father for real."

"That's, um, some of the best news I've had all day--the fact that you seem okay with the idea of spending time with me and Haley." He glanced at her again. And then, almost as an afterthought, he matter-of-factly added, "I love you so much, Lys, sometimes it takes my breath away."

Honorable Mention: The Shaughnessey Accord by Alison Kent
After being held hostage for hours, secret agent Tripp Shaughnessey and Glory Brighton make the most of their newfound freedom by spending the next several days together.

Cliche or not, their time together had been the best of her life. He was fun. And funny. Making her laugh about things she'd never taken the time to look at before. . . . Even over the way she liked to spoon backward when they slept, tucking her knees behind his thighs and pulling his back to her chest. He said the whole point of spooning was for her to feel safe in his arms while she slept. At which point she reminded him she'd been sleeping alone for a whole lotta years, and liked the idea of being the one to offer haven to a man taking on too much of the world alone.

He'd cuddled back closer, then. Made sure they were touching everywhere possible.

Well, these are my favorite moments. Do you have favorite sweet moments? Feel free to share them in the comments section.

Alyssa

Labels:

1 Comments:

At January 06, 2005 6:27 AM, Blogger Rosario said...

Excellent choices, Alyssa! Except for the Alison Kent book, which I haven't yet read, I loved all five of those books.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home