A blog devoted to my reads, scrapbook pages, and other areas of interest.

Name: Alyssa
Location: Utah, United States

Sign Up for My Author Newsletter E-mail:  

I'm a reader, reviewer, and published author at Cobblestone Press. In this blog, I focus mainly on the books I read: primarily romance in almost every subgenre, with the occasional true-crime book thrown in for a little variety.

When I'm not writing, I enjoy preserving my photos through the art of scrapbooking. I also love scented candles, though of course I don't burn them too close to my books or scrapbooking supplies. :) I also enjoy watching A&E programs such as Cold Case Files and American Justice.

View my complete profile



Cobblestone Authors Blog
My Blog Entries at Romancing the Blog
My Book Reviews at The Romance Reader
My Favorite Blogs
My Writer Blog










Design By
Ciao My Bella

Platform By:
Blogger

Powered By:
By The Book

Image By:
Getty Images

eXTReMe Tracker

Free Site Counter
Site Counter

Saturday, March 19, 2005

Bad Boys Over Easy

I started reading Bad Boys Over Easy this afternoon, and I gobbled it right up (so to speak). Two of the stories are exceptional and one is good. This is the perfect weekend read: 4 out of 5.

Erin McCarthy's "Fuzzy Logic" starts the anthology. I've long been a fan of McCarthy's writing, and "Fuzzy Logic" doesn't disappoint. Lucas is surprised when a package of sex toys shows up on his doorstep. He's even more fascinated when he learns they belong to his tenant, Ashley, the woman he's wanted for years.

I love romances where one of the characters carries a torch for another, and I also adore beta heroes. "Fuzzy Logic" uses both of these elements, along with an interesting heroine, which makes it a treat to read. Ashley and Lucas are very hot together. One thing I can count on with McCarthy--all of her stories and characters are different and compelling. This story rates 4.5 out of 5.

"The Cupid Curse" is a paranormal romance by Jen Nicholas. Val (short for Valentine) writes a letter to Cupid to find her soul mate. Cupid sends a novice named Gideon to deal with the matter. A gust of wind sends Gideon's love-arrow (this is not a euphemism) astray; it ends up hitting Gideon himself.

This is a fun story as long as you don't take it too seriously. The main problem with it is that it relies too heavily on the "destined love" principle--once Gideon is hit by the arrow, he's destined to love Val, and she's destined to love him in return. I don't have an issue with the destined-love idea except when it offers an easy way to get a couple together without having them spend much time falling in love. That's the case here: 3 out of 5.

Jordan Summers's "Mesmerized" is the third story and ends the anthology on a high note. Amanda is a skilled hypnotist, and Derek is a journalist determined to expose her as a fraud. Derek jumps at the chance to participate in Amanda's on-stage act, but when it's over, he seems to be still hypnotized.

The still-hypnotized element seems far-fetched, but I can go along with far-fetched plots if I enjoy the characters. I enjoyed reading about Derek and Amanda. I was engrossed in their story: 4 out of 5. I've now read two stories by Summers, and she's quite good. I look forward to reading more of her stories.

Alyssa

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home