Joining the Crowd
The romance blogging world's abuzz with talk of e-books. Topics have ranged from requests for more reviews of e-books, discussion about different e-publishers, and other thoughts.
I'm in a unique position. A year ago, I didn't think I'd write fiction except as an occasional pastime. I wrote it once or twice a year, tops. Given that, I reviewed anything and everything that interested me, whether it was in print or an e-book.
Obviously, things have changed. I have a release date for my first e-book: June 9. A second is under contract, and a third is well underway.
I can no longer say I'm only a reader.
For some people, that fact will completely change their opinion of my reviews. I understand that, as I've eyed some author endorsements with skepticism. However, there's usually an obvious difference between a post promoting someone's book and a post recommending it. The former often consists of a blurb about the book along with a review or two, while the latter will offer an explanation about why they enjoyed the book.
That's not the only conflict I'm facing. I've decided not to review books here by my publisher. (I may recommend the ones I like at my author blog, but I'll do that only if I genuinely like the book.)
And what about other e-publishers? Should I stop reviewing their books? Or start reviewing them in a different way? As a reader, I want to review them the same way I review anything else, but I'm not sure if that's wise.
Thoughts? I'd love to hear from readers and writers on this.

4 Comments:
Alyssa I somehow started looking in one direction surfing tonight and found your site along the way taking me in another direction all together.
I read your excerpt of Office relations and found it interesting and can't wait to finish reading the real copy.
I don't see any conflict of interest. Take a look at who signs the reviews in The New York Times Literary Supplement, The New York Review of Books, The London Review of Books, The Guardian Literary Supplement and The New Yorker (to name some of the most high-flying taste-makers): other writers. I don't think any of them are beating themselves on the back because they're the competition. There's room enough for more than one book, and more than one opinion. As long as you have interesting things to say, go for it!
There's room enough for more than one book, and more than one opinion. As long as you have interesting things to say, go for it!
Well stated anonymous.
wildheart
Wildheart, I'm glad you enjoyed the excerpt! I hope you enjoy the complete story. It's being published on June 9. Thanks for visiting.
Anon, you have a good point. Thanks for posting!
Post a Comment
<< Home