A blog devoted to my reads, scrapbook pages, and other areas of interest.

Name: Alyssa
Location: Utah, United States

Sign Up for My Author Newsletter E-mail:  

I'm a reader, reviewer, and published author at Cobblestone Press. In this blog, I focus mainly on the books I read: primarily romance in almost every subgenre, with the occasional true-crime book thrown in for a little variety.

When I'm not writing, I enjoy preserving my photos through the art of scrapbooking. I also love scented candles, though of course I don't burn them too close to my books or scrapbooking supplies. :) I also enjoy watching A&E programs such as Cold Case Files and American Justice.

View my complete profile



Cobblestone Authors Blog
My Blog Entries at Romancing the Blog
My Book Reviews at The Romance Reader
My Favorite Blogs
My Writer Blog










Design By
Ciao My Bella

Platform By:
Blogger

Powered By:
By The Book

Image By:
Getty Images

eXTReMe Tracker

Free Site Counter
Site Counter

Sunday, February 25, 2007

The Nymph King

Now that I've posted an interview with Gena Showalter, it's time to write a review for her latest book, The Nymph King. I loved it: 4.5 out of 5.

Females young and old, beautiful and plain crave Valerian's touch. None can resist his blatant sensuality and potent allure . . . until he steals Shaye Holling from a Florida beach and holds her prisoner in his underwater kingdom.

The cynical Shaye wants nothing to do with the mighty warlord, but she's inexplicably drawn to him. For underneath the warrior's arrogant beauty lies a complex and powerful man. A man whose caress is like fire . . .

Now Valerian must fight for the privilege of claiming her as his own. Because there's one thing Shaye doesn't know . . .

That when a nymph discovers his true mate, she's his for life.

The Nymph King includes two components I don't necessarily love in a story: kidnapping (it's not a secret if it's on the back cover, right?) and the "true mate" idea. Showalter not only makes both these scenarios work, but creates an unforgettable love story.

I've praised Showalter's world-building before, but I have to say it again. In this book, she provides readers with a fascinating glimpse into Atlantis. It's portrayed so vividly that I could easily picture it, and it also provides insight into Valerian and the other nymphs.

Valerian is wonderful. Yes, Shaye turns out to be his mate, but that doesn't make things easier for him. In fact, he doesn't want a mate. Once he accepts that she's the one for him, he strives to win her--and I do mean win her. He has to work at it, and this results in some wildly romantic moments, such as the one that occurs when she asks him to tell her one thing he likes about her.

Shaye's a slightly less memorable character, but I loved the way she made Valerian work for her love. And her anti-greeting card idea is terrific. An example: "Congratulations on your new promotion. Before you go, would you mind taking the knife out of my back? You'll probably need it again."

I've mentioned before that there is a character in this book named Alyssa because I won a contest. Her role is short but sweet. LOL! Speaking of short and sweet, there's also a terrific secondary romance in this book.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At February 27, 2007 9:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was wondering if anyone liked this book. I read the review for it in RT and was worried that it might not be that great. I've run about 50/50 on liking Showalter's books. Now I feel a little more comfortable moving this higher in my huge TBR pile.

 
At March 01, 2007 4:42 PM, Blogger reviewer said...

Great review!
I absolutely loved it. I can't wait to read more about The vampire king when his book comes out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home