A blog devoted to my reads, scrapbook pages, and other areas of interest.

Name: Alyssa
Location: Utah, United States

Sign Up for My Author Newsletter E-mail:  

I'm a reader, reviewer, and published author at Cobblestone Press. In this blog, I focus mainly on the books I read: primarily romance in almost every subgenre, with the occasional true-crime book thrown in for a little variety.

When I'm not writing, I enjoy preserving my photos through the art of scrapbooking. I also love scented candles, though of course I don't burn them too close to my books or scrapbooking supplies. :) I also enjoy watching A&E programs such as Cold Case Files and American Justice.

View my complete profile



Cobblestone Authors Blog
My Blog Entries at Romancing the Blog
My Book Reviews at The Romance Reader
My Favorite Blogs
My Writer Blog










Design By
Ciao My Bella

Platform By:
Blogger

Powered By:
By The Book

Image By:
Getty Images

eXTReMe Tracker

Free Site Counter
Site Counter

Thursday, February 08, 2007

The Raven Prince

I tend to read fewer historicals these days since I overdosed on them several years ago. Authors like Elizabeth Hoyt make me rethink that position: 4.5 out of 5.

Widowed Anna Wren is having a wretched day. After an arrogant male on horseback nearly squashes her, she arrives home to learn that she is in dire financial straits. What is a gently bred lady to do?

The Earl of Swartingham is in a quandary. Having frightened off two secretaries, Edward de Raaf needs someone who can withstand his bad temper and boorish behavior.

When Anna becomes the earl's secretary, it would seem that both their problems are solved. Then she discovers he plans to visit the most notorious brothel in London for his "manly" needs. Well! Anna sees red--and decides to assuage her "womanly" desires . . . with the earl as her unknowing lover.

Many bloggers have already written about The Raven Prince, so I'm not sure what I can add to the discussion. If I had to sum it up, I would say that this book is one of the best debut books I remember reading. The characterization is fresh and complex, with none of those, "Why did (s)he do that?" moments. And wow, did I ever love Edward. He's far from the perfect hero, and that just makes him all the more compelling to read about.

The hidden identity ruse is one I've seen in other books. Given the context, I didn't find it at all strange that Edward didn't immediately recognize Anna, and I loved the way the physical relationship was both part of and distinct from their interpersonal relationship. As I reread the last sentence, I'm not sure I explain it well. Let me try again. There's one scene where Anna thinks that while she is enjoying the sexual relationship, she also recognizes that it's a purely physical one at that point, and she wants something more. She has more with her emotional relationship with Edward, and I loved seeing these two characters bring the two relationships together.

The language and sex scenes in The Raven Prince are richly sensual, and I loved the book. I'm excited to read Hoyt's next one.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At February 08, 2007 11:25 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

That's great, I won the Raven Prince recently so I can't wait to read it now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home