A blog devoted to my reads, scrapbook pages, and other areas of interest.

Name: Alyssa
Location: Utah, United States

Sign Up for My Author Newsletter E-mail:  

I'm a reader, reviewer, and published author at Cobblestone Press. In this blog, I focus mainly on the books I read: primarily romance in almost every subgenre, with the occasional true-crime book thrown in for a little variety.

When I'm not writing, I enjoy preserving my photos through the art of scrapbooking. I also love scented candles, though of course I don't burn them too close to my books or scrapbooking supplies. :) I also enjoy watching A&E programs such as Cold Case Files and American Justice.

View my complete profile



Cobblestone Authors Blog
My Blog Entries at Romancing the Blog
My Book Reviews at The Romance Reader
My Favorite Blogs
My Writer Blog










Design By
Ciao My Bella

Platform By:
Blogger

Powered By:
By The Book

Image By:
Getty Images

eXTReMe Tracker

Free Site Counter
Site Counter

Sunday, January 30, 2005

Better Than Chocolate . . .

This seems to be a weekend in which I blog about books with weird punctuation. I read Better Than Chocolate . . . by Jennifer LaBrecque and loved it: 5 out of 5.

Last year, I read LaBrecque's Barely Behaving; it was OK, but I didn't feel inclined to buy anything else. I picked up Better Than Chocolate . . . at the library, and now it looks like I need to get a copy for myself.

Eve Carmichael and Jack LaRoux are up for the same vice-president position at Hendley and Wells Advertising. The one who creates the campaign for a certain client will get the position. Jack and Eve haven't met; she works in the New York office, while he works in San Francisco. Both go to Chicago to have an initial meeting with the client to discuss ideas. Before that, though, Eve and Jack meet in the hotel, and go out for a drink.

I'll state right now that Jack finds out who Eve is, but he doesn't reciprocate. In most cases, I'd think that was a rotten thing to do. And it is. LaBrecque, however, shows talent in creating complex characters. Jack is likable even though his actions in this situation aren't. When Eve discovers the deception, she handles it much differently than I expected. She's a woman who gives as good as she gets. And I love the fact that she's attractive but not gorgeous.

Complexity is perhaps the best word for this story. The characters are complex, the situations are complex, and the sex is complex. I simply couldn't put this book down. (But again, what's up with the punctuation? No ellipsis is needed.)

On a reading note, I'm seeing a trend here. Better Than Chocolate . . . isn't the first book I've liked with a coworkers-who-don't-know-each-other plot. Jacquie D'Alessandro's We've Got Tonight also uses this storyline. Different execution, of course, but I loved it, too. I wonder why I seem to be drawn to this scenario? Must give this some thought.

Alyssa

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home