A blog devoted to my reads, scrapbook pages, and other areas of interest.

Name: Alyssa
Location: Utah, United States

Sign Up for My Author Newsletter E-mail:  

I'm a reader, reviewer, and published author at Cobblestone Press. In this blog, I focus mainly on the books I read: primarily romance in almost every subgenre, with the occasional true-crime book thrown in for a little variety.

When I'm not writing, I enjoy preserving my photos through the art of scrapbooking. I also love scented candles, though of course I don't burn them too close to my books or scrapbooking supplies. :) I also enjoy watching A&E programs such as Cold Case Files and American Justice.

View my complete profile



Cobblestone Authors Blog
My Blog Entries at Romancing the Blog
My Book Reviews at The Romance Reader
My Favorite Blogs
My Writer Blog










Design By
Ciao My Bella

Platform By:
Blogger

Powered By:
By The Book

Image By:
Getty Images

eXTReMe Tracker

Free Site Counter
Site Counter

Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Silent Confessions

I picked up Julie Kenner's Silent Confessions because I liked the cover. Luckily the contents of the book were also terrific: 4.5 out of 5.

Detective Jack Parker is investigating a stalker who leaves notes quoting erotic literature. The stakes increase when a stalking victim is murdered.

Veronica (Ronnie) Archer owns Archer's Rare Books and Manuscripts, a bookstore that specializes in erotia. She meets Jack when he's looking for someone to help him with the notes. Jack and Ronnie begin an affair soon after their first meeting.

There are some familiar elements to the story, such as the detective who becomes a cop because of something that happened to a family member. But the characters don't fall into easy stereotypes. The back cover implies that Ronnie wants to live out the erotic things she reads, but that's not really the case. Perhaps it's more accurate to say that I worried that she would be a repressed woman who relies on erotia. Ronnie is far from repressed, though; she's a dynamic woman who knows what she wants.

Ronnie and Jack's relationship starts as largely physical, but it quickly develops into something more. This is a common occurence in romance novels, but the transition isn't always believable or smooth. Kenner makes the transition convincing. She writes terrific sex scenes, too.

The stalker suspects are few; readers are likely to anticipate the stalker's identity. There are a few twists to the story, and guessing the stalker didn't make the story any less interesting.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At September 21, 2005 9:17 AM, Blogger Rosario said...

I didn't like this one nearly as much. I think I gave it something like a C. Not a bad book, but it just didn't grab my attention. I didn't even find the love scenes sexy!

 
At September 21, 2005 3:34 PM, Blogger Alyssa said...

I just checked out your review of it. Wow, we had quite different opinions of this book!

I did have the "He could do an internet search to find the excerpts" idea. And there's definitely some conflict of interest. Both issues were things I thought about for a minute, then disregarded. Or decided to overlook, I guess I should say.

I enjoyed enough other things about the book that I was able to overlook these issues. Thanks for sharing your opinion. I always enjoy seeing where I agree and differ with other bloggers.

 
At September 21, 2005 3:35 PM, Blogger Kristie (J) said...

I've found her single title books hit and miss, but I've quite enjoyed all the series books of her's I've read. I'll have to keep my open for this one.

 
At September 22, 2005 4:55 AM, Blogger Ellen said...

I really liked this one, I thought the sex scenes were hot, and I must admit I didn't guess the identity of the stalker, either:-). My only issue with it was it felt like a Blaze-- it didn't seem quite big enough for a single title to me.

 
At October 02, 2005 2:36 PM, Blogger Alyssa said...

Yes, it does have a Blaze-y feel to it. I didn't mind the length, though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home