TBR Challenge: Going Buck Wild
Once again, I'm participating in Keishon's TBR (to-be-read) challenge. The September goal is to read fiction, which Keishon defines pretty broadly: mystery, chick lit, etc. Today I read Going Buck Wild by Nina Foxx.
1. Title/Author
Going Buck Wild by Nina Foxx.
2. Brief Synopsis
Claudia Barrett's life has been in a holding pattern for some time. While work is going well, she can't bring herself to set a wedding date with her fiance. Things with him have become routine, even boring. When her fiance breaks up with her, Claudia has an opportunity to reinvent herself and do things she wouldn't normally do. She is encouraged by a friend to do exactly that.
3. Copyright Year
2004.
4. Indicate if you liked or disliked it?
I had mixed feelings about this book. I liked Claudia and wanted to find out what would happen to her. Going Buck Wild is told from the point of view of about half a dozen people. In this respect, it reminded me of Hot Shot, by Susan Elizabeth Phillips. I'm simply not a fan of this style. In most cases, I find this many points of view distracting. It can lead to a lack of focus and prevent readers from really getting to know a character. In the case of this book, I thought the story could have been more focused. There's also a fair amount of sniping between characters; at times it seemed excessive.
There are some things I enjoyed. The story certainly kept me reading--I wanted to find out what would happen. I liked Claudia's friend, although I wish I knew more about her. I felt the same way about Claudia's fiance. We know very little about him and I wanted to know more. The ultimate rating is 3 out of 5.
5. Was the book designated a DIK or Five Heart book at any of the review sites?
I didn't check any review sites.
6. Do you agree or disagree with the reviewers?
Not applicable.
7. Is this a new author for you?
Yes.
8. Would you read more by this author?
Maybe, if the plot sounded interesting.

Labels: 3.0 reviews, f-h reviews, tbr challenge

1 Comments:
I started Get Some Love by Foxx while on vacation. I only got a couple of chapters in before picking up another book because it wasn't pulling me in fast enough. I'll probably come back to it at some point, but I was slightly disappointed.
Post a Comment
<< Home