Historical Marathon
This week, I read a number of historical romances. I've just been in a historical mood. Here are quick reviews of the books I read.
Always to Remember by Lorraine Heath
This was a lovely post-Civil War story. I thought the hero, Clay, was terrific. He was labeled a coward and deserter because he refused to fight. Now he's back home, but his war isn't over. He demonstrates an amazing quiet strength and is a beta hero. Meg starts out hating Clay because her husband died in the war. But as she spends time with Clay, she recognizes his strength and his courage. Part of the ending with the townspeople is too good to be true. However, there are several lovely moments in this book, and I found myself thinking of Clay and Meg days after reading their story. The perfect indication of a keeper: 5 out of 5.
A Promise of Love by Karen Ranney
I decided to take this one off the TBR pile after reading about it in a recent Romancing the Blog column. I'm glad I did; it's an excellent read: 4.5 out of 5. It's about a woman who is two-times widowed, then sent to Scotland, where she marries again. The marriage isn't easy. Neither of Judith's previous marriages was a happy one. Based on her previous experience, Judith is reluctant to trust anyone. I loved seeing her journey. Once Alisdair realizes what Judith has gone through, he is understanding and sympathetic. There are a few moments early in the book, however, where he acts cruelly toward her. Some readers might have trouble with this.
His Secondhand Bride by Cheryl St. John
This book has been getting raves from many bloggers, so it was a logical pick in my historical reading marathon. It's quite good: 4 out of 5. It's a marriage of convenience story about a man who marries his brother's wife after the brother dies. I enjoyed the characterization most. It's a treat to watch the vivacious Katherine and reserved Noah fall in love with each other. I was frustrated at moments when they wouldn't talk to each other about what they were feeling, but I enjoyed most of the story.
So, that's my marathon. It's interesting that none of the books I read are set in Regency England.

Labels: 4.0 reviews, 4.5 reviews, 5.0 reviews, f-h reviews, historical reviews, q-s reviews

3 Comments:
I haven't been reading many historicals lately, and I'm not just talking about new books. I have plenty of oldies in the tbr, but I haven't been tempted. I've read only 2 in September, and one of them a reread!
That said, Always to Remember and the Ranney book sound great. I have ATR in the tbr, so I think I'll move it up, and I'll look for the Ranney. As for the St. John, I read it this year and pretty much agree with what you said.
It's been a while since I was in the mood for a historical marathon. I've been reading contemporaries and paranormals for the most part. Perhaps that was part of it--I was ready for a change.
:)
Alyssa
oh yes rosario move it up, then send to me ;)
wwwwwwwhheeeeeeeeee
I have been on a Lorraine Heath kick but only the westerns.
Post a Comment
<< Home