A blog devoted to my reads, scrapbook pages, and other areas of interest.

Name: Alyssa
Location: Utah, United States

Sign Up for My Author Newsletter E-mail:  

I'm a reader, reviewer, and published author at Cobblestone Press. In this blog, I focus mainly on the books I read: primarily romance in almost every subgenre, with the occasional true-crime book thrown in for a little variety.

When I'm not writing, I enjoy preserving my photos through the art of scrapbooking. I also love scented candles, though of course I don't burn them too close to my books or scrapbooking supplies. :) I also enjoy watching A&E programs such as Cold Case Files and American Justice.

View my complete profile



Cobblestone Authors Blog
My Blog Entries at Romancing the Blog
My Book Reviews at The Romance Reader
My Favorite Blogs
My Writer Blog










Design By
Ciao My Bella

Platform By:
Blogger

Powered By:
By The Book

Image By:
Getty Images

eXTReMe Tracker

Free Site Counter
Site Counter

Monday, July 30, 2007

Secrets Rising

I've been on a reading marathon since I returned from RWA. Hey, I have to read some of these books I've been getting, right? I picked up Suzanne McMinn's Secrets Rising and got a quick, compelling read: 4 out of 5.

Keely Schiffer is having the strangest day. There's the skull in her rose garden and she receives a gift from her dead husband. Then an earthquake hits, and Keely's trapped with a handsome, gun-toting stranger.

Detective Jake Malloy heard that nothing bad ever happened in the town of Haven, but this so-called R & R has turned into a nightmare. Except for being stuck in a dark cellar with a sexy woman till help arrives. For Keely and Jake, near-death stokes hidden fires, but the earthquake seems hell-bent on stirring up all the people of Haven, past and present . . .

Secrets Rising (love the title) is a story that moves quickly. The set up is good, and I enjoy the way Jake and Keely are trapped in the cellar together. The action starts quickly and keeps on going.

What I enjoyed most was the chemistry between Jake and Keely. The tension between them when they in the cellar is amazing, and it leads to a great consummation scene.

The second half of the book slows down a bit as the mystery takes center stage. The story kept my interest, but it doesn't have the same tension as the first half.

I closed the book with the sense that Jake and Keely's relationship is just beginning. There's a lot they don't know about each other. That doesn't diminish the feeling that they are a couple that will stay together. This is the first book in a new series. I'm interested in seeing what happens in the next one.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At July 30, 2007 7:46 PM, Blogger Nicole said...

Glad you liked it. I had almost the opposite reaction to it. I thought it was so boring and was really disappointed. I have liked McMinn's books in the past, though. Sadly, just not this one.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home