A blog devoted to my reads, scrapbook pages, and other areas of interest.

Name: Alyssa
Location: Utah, United States

Sign Up for My Author Newsletter E-mail:  

I'm a reader, reviewer, and published author at Cobblestone Press. In this blog, I focus mainly on the books I read: primarily romance in almost every subgenre, with the occasional true-crime book thrown in for a little variety.

When I'm not writing, I enjoy preserving my photos through the art of scrapbooking. I also love scented candles, though of course I don't burn them too close to my books or scrapbooking supplies. :) I also enjoy watching A&E programs such as Cold Case Files and American Justice.

View my complete profile



Cobblestone Authors Blog
My Blog Entries at Romancing the Blog
My Book Reviews at The Romance Reader
My Favorite Blogs
My Writer Blog










Design By
Ciao My Bella

Platform By:
Blogger

Powered By:
By The Book

Image By:
Getty Images

eXTReMe Tracker

Free Site Counter
Site Counter

Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Taming the Wolf

Note to self: Taking a nap after work only makes it harder to go to sleep at night. It may help you get some blogging done, however.

Taming the Wolf is a medieval romance by Deborah Simmons. I have been reading a number of medievals lately, and I've been pretty lucky with them so far. Taming the Wolf continues that luck by being a 4 out of 5, much better than my previous Simmons read: The Devil Earl.

Marion Warenne loses her memory after being attacked on her way to a convent. She ends up living with the de Burgh family, who come to love and value her as part of the family. Marion is content to live with at Campion Castle with Campion and six of his sons. The seventh and oldest is Dunstan, who owns his own estate and comes to visit just when Marion learns that her uncle has ordered her to be returned to him. Though she doesn't remember him, she feels sick at the thought of going back to him. When none of the Campion brothers seem willing to take her home, Dunstan agrees to be her escort.

Dunstan expects the journey to be fairly uneventful. Instead, he ends up chasing Marion when she repeatedly runs away, then runs with her for their lives when their group is attacked. Obviously, someone wants them dead, and they must discover who that someone is.

This book features a fast-paced plot that kept my interest engaged. Marion is a complex character--at times sweet, at times plucky. She can't help but fall in love with the gruff Dunstan, a warrior whose tough exterior masks a man who slowly comes to believe in love. Their story is lively and entertaining, although I grew tired of Marion's continued desire to run away, even after they are married. In the end, they are obviously a perfect pair.

Taming the Wolf was an enjoyable way to spend a few hours.

Alyssa

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At November 30, 2004 5:54 AM, Blogger Rosario said...

I'm not much into Medievals, but this was one series I enjoyed. The only negative thing about it is that Simmonds wasn't able to finish it (contract problems, I think), so we never did get the last brother's story... and it was the most interesting brother, too!

Are you reading the next book, The de Burgh Bride? I think that one must be my favourite in the series.

 
At November 30, 2004 1:27 PM, Blogger Alyssa said...

I just stopped at a used bookstore that's about 10 minutes away from my office and picked up the next one. The set up is pretty intriguing, so I'll probably read it sometime this week. (I usually try to spread out books by the same author if I can.)

Thanks for your comments. Too bad she wasn't able to finish the series. :(

Alyssa

 

Post a Comment

<< Home