Suspect
Arm Candy was the last book I read by Jo Leigh. Today I finished Suspect, written more than 10 years ago for the Silhouette Intimate Moments line. It was terrific: 4 out of 5.
Nick is a homicide cop who is investigating the murder of Joanna Hardy. When he finds a videotape of her, he is enchanted. Then Joanna appears, leaving Nick to find out who was actually murdered and whether Joanna is involved.
I found myself thinking of the movie Laura as I read, which features a cop who falls in love with Laura's portrait. It's a fascinating movie; I wonder if Suspect is a homage, but whether it is or not, it's a compelling read. I was particularly impressed by the methodical way Nick investigates the case; Leigh clearly did her research before writing this book.
As the story continues, Joanna and Nick become more attracted even as they wonder whether to trust each other. It's an intriguing dance, and it leads to a scene that makes me cry. Very powerful.
I have to admit that I didn't understand Nick's desire to protect Joanna from himself. Other than that, though, I enjoyed the story. It's quite different from Arm Candy, which I also liked. It's nice to find versatile authors.
Alyssa
Labels: 4.0 reviews, contemporary reviews, i-l reviews

3 Comments:
I loved Jo Leigh's IMs ...
Thanks so much, Alyssa. And yes, it was definitely an homage to Laura. The idea came after watching it again, and I thought if it was made today, he wouldn't fall in love with a portrait, but a video. It was my first Harlequin book, a RITA finalist, and one I will always love.
Jo,
Thanks for visiting! I appreciate getting the inside scoop. I'm not at all surprised to hear that Suspect was a RITA finalist--it's very good.
:)
Alyssa
Post a Comment
<< Home