Hungry Tigress
I had strong and mixed feelings about White Tigress, the first book in a series by Jade Lee. I liked the writing enough that I bought Hungry Tigress at the RWA signing. Though there are some problematic parts, I liked the story overall: 4 out of 5.
Joanna is being attacked by a group of men when another man comes to her rescue. He fights off the attackers and begins escorting her back to her home. During the journey, Joanna deduces the man's identity--something he cannot allow. He strikes her throat to keep her from talking, then takes her with him until he can decide what to do.
You can probably guess the first problem I had with the story. The hero, Zou Tun, demonstrates markedly unheroic behavior by hitting her in the first place. At the end of this chapter, I put the book down for a few days. Once I picked it up again, I became engrossed in the story.
I like Lee's writing style; it's lush and evocative. I also enjoy the setting. I know little about Chinese culture, and that's perhaps one reason why I find the book so compelling. Lee paints a vivid picture of the world in which Joanna and Zou Tun live. As for the characters themselves, they start as imperfect characters but show significant growth by the end.
As for the ending, I suspect that some readers will be put off by it. Here's a spoiler (click the beginning of the white space and scroll over it if you want to read it): Zou Tun and Joanna make love while members of their families watch. I didn't love this turn of events, but I understood how the story got there. Still, it's not the most comfortable scene to read. For more information about the ending (spoilers included), read the comments.
So once again, I had mixed feelings about some parts of the book, but I liked it anyway. The third book in the series comes out in November, and I'm looking forward to it. I want to see what will happen next. The heroine and hero are both Chinese, and the heroine has been a villain in the first two books. It should be interesting.

Labels: 4.0 reviews, historical reviews, i-l reviews

4 Comments:
Well, it's complicated. LOL! I'll try to summarize it. Spoilers ahead.
The hero is the son of a general who wants him to rule China. The hero and heroine go to the queen (not sure if that's her official title) to renounce any claim to the throne.
The queen insists that the hero and heroine marry. He will be discredited by marrying and having a child with a white woman. The queen makes sure the hero's father is there to witness the consummation. The heroine's father is also there, though I'm not sure how he got there.
It basically ensures that the hero cannot claim the throne even if he wanted to do so. The scene isn't actually as prurient as it sounds. But, yeah, it's problematic.
If I'm strange for liking this book despite the problematic parts, then so be it.
:)
Alyssa
Ok, I can understand the whole sex in front of family thing for the reasons you gave, even if it is a bit weird - i'd probably be more comfortable if it wasn't their family members, but govt officials or religious officials or whoever that watched instead.
As for the hero hitting the heroine - giant no no for me. Glad you told me that, I won't be getting this book.
Thanks, Jorie. I guess there's a part of me that does think I'm strange (LOL!), and I appreciate your reassurance.
Jaynie, hitting the heroine is usually a deal breaker for me, but I was able to get past it here. Perhaps partly because it was a historical? That doesn't make it right, but I don't think I could get past it in a contemporary.
And it helped that he was so remorseful later.
Alyssa
The first book lost me with the whole second wife thing. So I can't see reading any other books in this series.
But I will get the crimson one coming out ;)
Post a Comment
<< Home