A blog devoted to my reads, scrapbook pages, and other areas of interest.

Name: Alyssa
Location: Utah, United States

Sign Up for My Author Newsletter E-mail:  

I'm a reader, reviewer, and published author at Cobblestone Press. In this blog, I focus mainly on the books I read: primarily romance in almost every subgenre, with the occasional true-crime book thrown in for a little variety.

When I'm not writing, I enjoy preserving my photos through the art of scrapbooking. I also love scented candles, though of course I don't burn them too close to my books or scrapbooking supplies. :) I also enjoy watching A&E programs such as Cold Case Files and American Justice.

View my complete profile



Cobblestone Authors Blog
My Blog Entries at Romancing the Blog
My Book Reviews at The Romance Reader
My Favorite Blogs
My Writer Blog










Design By
Ciao My Bella

Platform By:
Blogger

Powered By:
By The Book

Image By:
Getty Images

eXTReMe Tracker

Free Site Counter
Site Counter

Sunday, October 02, 2005

Her Best Friend's Lover

After reading many people recommend Shiloh Walker's Her Best Friend's Lover, I decided to try it. I read it this weekend and thought it was quite good: 4 out of 5.

Lauren has loved friend and neighbor Dale for five years. She's never acted on her feelings, however, because Dale has loved another woman as long as she's known him. Everything changes one night when Dale drinks too much and starts to see Lauren with different eyes.

Spoiler (to read it, click the beginning of the white space and scroll over it): Her Best Friend's Lover is a secret baby story unlike any other I've read. Dale tends to lose time when he's drunk, so when Lauren leaves after they make love, Dale thinks it was a dream. So the child is his baby, but he doesn't know it. He helps Lauren through the pregnancy and falls in love with her in the process. Certain elements of the plot rely on coincidence, which is at times challenging to accept. The story also includes point of view changes that are occasionally abrupt.

Besides these two points, I enjoyed the story. Dale's journey from thinking he loved someone else to realizing he loves Lauren is great to watch. I loved his wonder when he goes with Lauren to the doctor. Because of her past, Lauren struggles with worry that the people she loves will always leave her. This added a poignancy to the story. This is a sexy read with plenty of sexual tension and chemistry.

This is an e-book, but I bought and read the print version. Print books are still my preference, but Walker has a book that looks interesting coming out later this month, so I'm not going to wait for it to be released in print. She has a few dozen other books, too, so I'm planning to take a look.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At October 02, 2005 11:04 PM, Blogger Sylvia Day said...

I really enjoy Shiloh's stories. I own quite a few of them. :)

 
At October 08, 2005 4:39 AM, Blogger Shiloh Walker said...

thank you both.

:-)

Alyssa, the only reason i have for the POV shifts... one of my first books. That became a project of mine and my editors, cleaning up the POV shifts. I still do it, but I think it's a lot cleaner now.

Sylvia, the cover of misled rocks and it sounds amazing. I gotta get more reading time.

 
At October 15, 2005 9:10 PM, Blogger Alyssa said...

Thanks, Sylvia and Shiloh for your comments. I'm looking forward to His Every Desire, which sounds interesting and controversial.

:)
Alyssa

 

Post a Comment

<< Home