A blog devoted to my reads, scrapbook pages, and other areas of interest.

Name: Alyssa
Location: Utah, United States

Sign Up for My Author Newsletter E-mail:  

I'm a reader, reviewer, and published author at Cobblestone Press. In this blog, I focus mainly on the books I read: primarily romance in almost every subgenre, with the occasional true-crime book thrown in for a little variety.

When I'm not writing, I enjoy preserving my photos through the art of scrapbooking. I also love scented candles, though of course I don't burn them too close to my books or scrapbooking supplies. :) I also enjoy watching A&E programs such as Cold Case Files and American Justice.

View my complete profile



Cobblestone Authors Blog
My Blog Entries at Romancing the Blog
My Book Reviews at The Romance Reader
My Favorite Blogs
My Writer Blog










Design By
Ciao My Bella

Platform By:
Blogger

Powered By:
By The Book

Image By:
Getty Images

eXTReMe Tracker

Free Site Counter
Site Counter

Thursday, September 29, 2005

Monster

I learned about this book because of my interest in Unsolved Mysteries. One segment on the program focused on the murders of Bobbie Oberholtzer and Annette Schnee. It was a perplexing case, so when I learned that Steve Jackson's Monster mentioned these murders, I wanted to read it. It starts slowly, but picks up after the first 100 pages: 4 out of 5.

Monster is clearly a thoroughly researched book. Jackson interviewed a number of the people involved, including Detective Scott Richardson, who doggedly investigated the case, and Deborah Snider, the girlfriend of the suspect, Tom Luther. Their contributions to the story are terrific. I was especially impressed by Richardson's commitment to the investigation. It was interesting to see how the investigation affected his family.

Snider's side of the story offers an interesting glimpse into a woman who knows she's involved with a dangerous man but can't bring herself to make a final break from him. Reading about her relationship with Luther is a bit like watching a movie and wanting to shout, "Don't open that door!" Even as the evidence points to Luther's involvement in several attacks and murders against women, Snider wants to be with the "good Tom." I didn't understand why she stayed with him, but it made for compelling reading.

One fascinating aspect of the book is that Bobbie Oberholtzer and Annette Schnee are not the focus of this book. While some investigators believe that both women were victims of Tom Luther, and Luther himself made comments suggesting his involvement, he was never tried for or convicted of their murders. Monster follows the investigation of the murder of Cher Elder.

Based on what I read, it's a very good thing that Tom Luther is in prison.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At October 16, 2006 2:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

alyssa i was wondering if you had any more information about tom luther and his murders i just read the book and need some infor about him. Please e-mail me if you do... merks3424@hotmail.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home