Wired
After reading a blog that started as an interesting discussion about costumes at book signings and turned into a dogpile, I vowed to read the first two Shomi books: Wired by Liz Maverick and Marianne Mancusi's Moongazer. I read Wired a few weeks ago and am glad I did: 4 out of 5.
Seconds aren't like pennies. They can't be saved in a jar and spent later. Fate seeps through cracks and shifts like fog. Pluck a second out of time or slip an extra one in, the consequences will change your life forever. Is the man you love really the man you think you know, or is there a version of your life in which he's your enemy? If you didn't know who or what you were before, would you take a chance on becoming that person again?
L. Roxanne Zaborovsky is about to discover fate is comprised of an infinite number of fires, filaments that can be manipulated, and that she's not the one at the controls. From the roguishly charming Mason Merrick--a shadow from her increasingly tenebrous past--to the dangerously seductive Leonardo Kaysar, she's barely holding on. This isn't a game, and the pennies are rolling all over the floor. Roxy just has to figure out which are the ones worth picking up.
This is one of those books that took a little while to get into. Maybe because I wasn't sure what to expect, and it's not always clear what's happening. The reader is basically in the same position as the heroine--thrown right in and trying to figure out what is going on.
By the time I got a third of the way through the book, though, I was engaged in the story, curious about how it would play out, and starting to form my own theories. I was right about one part of it, but it's complicated.
As I reread the back cover blurb, I realize it's a bit vague. I'm not going to try and describe the plot, as it's a bit complicated and I think it's best appreciated when you just read the story. The label on the spine calls this an action romance. The action takes center stage with the romance staying firmly in the background. I typically like more romance, but it worked for this story.
Wired was fascinating, different from anything I've seen out there in a while.
Labels: 4.0 reviews, m-p reviews, paranormal reviews
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home